Vassal service includes all the things vassals must do for their lord — standing guard at castles or manors, patrolling the borders, participating in hunts, giving advice, and otherwise performing a knight’s business.
Roll 1d20 on the chart below to find out which event, among all the things done, was of significant interest this year.
|d20 Result||Service Required|
|15–16||Armed escort (close destination)|
|17||Armed escort (distant destination)|
|18||Enter tournament (local)|
For each activity, the character gains a check in any one from among a number of skills and traits (player’s choice). If paired traits are listed, the character gains the check in either one or the other, not both.
- Garrison Duty: Gain a check for Awareness or Intrigue.
- Border Patrol: Gain a check for Awareness or Horsemanship or for Merciful/Cruel, Prudent/Reckless, or Trusting/Suspicious.
- Armed Escort (Close): Gain a check for Courtesy, Horsemanship, or Intrigue; or for Temperate/Indulgent.
- Armed Escort (Distant): Gain a check for Awareness, Courtesy, Horsemanship, or Intrigue; or for Temperate/Indulgent or Trusting/Suspicious.
- Enter Tournament: Gain a check for any one weapon skill; for Heraldry, Horsemanship, Recognize, or Tourney; or for Forgiving/Vengeful, Merciful/Cruel, Modest/Proud, Prudent/Reckless, or Temperate/Indulgent.
- Battle or Siege: Gain a check for any one weapon skill; for Battle, First Aid, or Horsemanship, Recognize; or for Forgiving/Vengeful, Merciful/Cruel, Modest/Proud, Prudent/Reckless, or Temperate/Indulgent.