In Prince Valiant, player-characters are called "adventurers." The designer, Greg Stafford, strongly recommends that if this your first time playing Prince Valiant, you should select one of the ready-made characters, rather than bog down reading several pages of rules.
Basic Character Creation
Once you've got the hang of the game, the Prince Valiant Basic Rules walk you through creating a knight, a very common type of adventurer. Your knight will fit on an index card.
- Write down your adventurer's name.
- Write down your own name as player.
- Write down your adventurer's occupation (i.e., "knight")
- Write down your adventurer's current fame (800 for knights just starting out)
- Write down a brief description of your adventurer.'
- Assign 7 points between your adventurer's Brawn and Presence attributes.
- Assign 9 points between six or more skills (knights must begin with at least 1 point in Arms and 1 point in Riding)
- Draw your adventurer's coat of arms
- Write down your adventurer's current possessions (for knights starting out: horse, sword, lance, dagger, medium armor, finery, and 5 gold coins)
Here is the list of skills in the basic version of the rules, appropriate for knights:
- = Knights must have at least 1 skill in each of Arms and Riding